- Days to Sprout 8 to 10
- Soak Time 4-8 hours
- Yield 1/4 cup seed yields approx. 3 cups of sunflower shoots
- Storage Our seeds should sprout well for a year after you purchase them, if stored in a cool dry place. If you’d like to extend the germination life of your seeds, store them in the fridge. If you store your seeds in the freezer, they’ll last even longer!
- SOAK- Cover the bottom of the sprouting tray with one single layer of seed. Place the tray and seeds in a dish of water and soak for 4-8 hours. (Alternatively, once you’ve measured your seeds in the tray, you can put the seeds in a bowl, fill the bowl with water, and soak for 4-8 hours.) Drain well.
- RINSE – Twice a day, rinse the seeds. Either rinse under a tap of running water, or use a spray bottle to mist well. Tip the tray to the side to drain well.
- ENJOY – Ready to eat in 4 or 5 days. Refrigerate to store. Sprouts can be refrigerated for up to two weeks in a sealed container. (Sprouts store best when they are fairly dry- do not store immediately after rinsing.)
- TIP for the crunchiest sunflower shoots: Once the roots start to to grow through the bottom holes of the tray, put the sprouting tray in a larger tray, such as a glass baking dish. Fill the larger tray with 1/4″ water. This will allow the roots to take up extra water and give the best tasting water-grown sunflower shoots!
Prepare enough moisture into your soil ahead of time
- Soak the sunflower seed 4-8 hours.
- Sprinkle the soaked seeds over the moistened soil in a tray, and press them gently into the loose soil. Cover loosely with a clean towel, unbleached paper towel, plastic, or a thin layer of soil to maintain humidity. Stack an empty tray on top of the towel/plastic. Put weight in the empty tray. This will help root the seeds into the soil. Check daily to determine the moisture
- After the seeds begin to germinate, you can remove the towel/plastic and continue spritzing the seed twice daily until it reaches desired height.
- Growing tips: Adding a tsp of liquid kelp to the water is beneficial.Make sure this large seed is completely covered so it stays moist. To obtain great germination, keep your seeds at a steady temperature (70F).After germination, avoid keeping the soil too moist.
10×20 microgreen tray seeding rate: 150g to 180g seed per tray
Tip for easier hull removal: 2-3 days before harvesting, lightly mist the sunflowers and gently lay over top plastic wrap that creates a greenhouse effect. Lightly brush your hand over top and the husks should start removing easier.